Tamar Bridge/Torpoint Ferry – Ferry Technical Manager
Tamar Bridge & Torpoint Ferry Joint Committee seek a Ferry Technical Manager to join the maintenance team at Torpoint Ferry. This is a dynamic and safety critical role in a unique environment. Please read all the details before deciding whether the role is suitable for you and what we are looking for. This summary should be read in conjunction with the full job description and person specification.
Background and Staffing Structure:
At Torpoint Ferry we provide a service to approximately 2.5 million vehicles and 750k pedestrians and cyclists per year. Three ferries provide a 24 hour service, 365 days a year and is an essential transport link for the people living in South East Cornwall. The Torpoint Ferry crossing is the busiest estuarial vehicular crossing in the United Kingdom.
The three chain ferries come under Maritime and Coastguard Agency regulations and are in class with Lloyds Register. They are unique vessels offering a wide range of both engineering and operational challenges.
As a member of the technical team you will manage a multi-skilled maintenance team who maintain the three Ferries. The maintenance team is central to the service delivery and you will be asked to develop innovative solutions to ensure that the service is as efficient as possible with the minimum loss of service to the public.
Ferry Technical Manager role:
In this varied role your main role and responsibilities will include:
- vital technical expertise and guidance and ensure that the ferries are maintained to a high standard.
- carefully identify, record and analyse technical data and keep a range of systems, databases and records up to date and accurate.
- have significant experience of engineering systems and workshop practices including mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, gas welding and lathe equipment.
- you must also be able to demonstrate excellent communication and management skills.
- engineering experience in a marine environment would be a distinct advantage.
Salary: £37,215 – £41,675 (based on 37 hrs/week +2.5 hrs/week contracted overtime)
There may be occasional ‘call outs’ outside of your normal working hours.
Generous annual leave, access to local government pension scheme, sick pay, and option to join cycle to work scheme. Generous Maternity and Parental leave.
The person specification gives a high level of detail of which skills and what experience we are looking for in the successful candidate.
In the first instance, you must be able to demonstrate:
- a high level of management and communication skills to manage skilled/semi-skilled workers in different technical disciplines.
- Formal qualification in relevant Engineering discipline, and/or
- Technical apprenticeship with HND/Degree or NVQ Level 4/5 or demonstrable equivalent experience
- Managing Safety Certificate (IOSH)
- Management qualification NVQ Level 4 or 5 or equivalent experience.
Applications will only be accepted on the official application form available on the Tamar Bridge and Torpoint Ferry website. Letters, CV’s, or other alternative methods will not be accepted. Presentation of the application form is important and may be assessed as part of the short-listing process.
Closing date: 9:00am on Tuesday 27th August 2019
Interviews: Week Commencing 9th September 2019
To learn more about this exciting opportunity or for an informal conversation please contact Paul Davey, Ferry Manager on 01752 812233.
If you have not heard anything by Tuesday 3rd September 2019 please assume you have been unsuccessful. We are sorry but due to the expected volume of applicants we are unable to inform people individually or give feedback to people who are not successful in reaching the interview stages.